Jeremy Smith, M.D.Board Certified Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
Dr. Smith is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in disorders of the spine. He is fellowship trained in Orthopaedic Spine Surgery and specializes in the cutting edge treatment of degenerative spinal conditions. Dr. Smith also has significant interest in the treatment of spinal trauma, particularly spinal cord injury and has made significant laboratory and clinical contributions that have advanced the field.
Dr. Smith graduated magna cum laude from The University of California, Los Angeles with a major in microbiology and molecular genetics. He then earned his medical degree from New York Medical College where he received Alpha Omega Alpha honors in his Junior year.
Dr. Smith graduated number one in his medical school class. He then completed his orthopaedic residency at The University of California, Irvine, where he served as chief resident in his final year. He then completed an orthopaedic and neurosurgical spine surgery fellowship at the Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital; widely regarded as one of the most sought after and prestigious spine fellowships in the country. His training there included complex surgery of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.
Dr. Smith was an assistant professor in the department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Southern California. During his time at the University he was co-director of the USC Center For Spinal Surgery and was heavily involved in research and education. He continues to volunteer his time to teach residents and perform complex reconstructive spinal surgeries at Los Angeles County USC Medical Center.
Dr. Smith has a strong interest in academic medicine and has authored multiple full length manuscripts and book chapters in journals such as The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, SPINE, and the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He has also presented his research at multiple national meetings and received national honors and awards for his work.
In addition to his interest in clinical research and academic spine surgery, Dr. Smith enjoys teaching new generations of orthopaedic surgeons. He is a strong believer of educating patients and their families so that they fully understand their disease and all treatment options. His emphasis is always towards non-operative treatment, reserving surgery as the final option when conservative therapy fails. His goal is to provide our communities with high quality, compassionate, and affordable musculoskeletal care that is grounded in evidenced based medicine, the results of which will exceed expectations.
Please visit http://www.jeremysmith.md/ to find out more about Jeremy Smith, M.D.
- Fellow in Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
Directors: Alex Vaccaro, MD, Todd Albert MD
Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University - Philadelphia, PA - 2010 - 2011
- Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery
University of California, Irvine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery - Irvine, CA - 2005 - 2010
- Doctor of Medicine
New York Medical College School of Medicine - Valhalla, NY - 2001 - 2005
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
University of California, Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA - 1995 - 1999
- Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Degenerative Spinal Conditions
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- California Medical Associations
- NASS - Advancing Global Spine Care
- California Orthopaedic Association
- American Medical Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Becker Spine: “36 Spine Surgeons Under 40 To Know” - Oct 2014
- Pasadena Magazine- Top doctor - May 2014
- Pasadena Magazine- Top doctor - May 2013
- First place abstract/presentation competition: University of California Irvine, Graduate Research - June 2010
- Russell Hibbs Award Finalist, Basic Science: Scoliosis Research Society - Sept 2009
- First place abstract/presentation competition: American College of Spine Surgery Annual Meeting - June 2009
- First place resident/fellow research award: Cervical Spine Research Society 36th Annual Meeting - Dec 2008
- Valedictorian, New York Medical College - June 2005
- The New York Medical College Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Award: Presented to the member of the graduating class demonstrating the greatest interest and proficiency in orthopaedics - June 2005
- The Dr. & Mrs. David Harrison Scholarship Award New York Medical College: Presented to the member of the graduating class who has achieved the highest academic standing - June 2005
- The Eileen H. Pike Ph.D. Memorial Award in Microbiology: Presented to a member of the graduating class for academic excellence, aptitude and interest in microbiology - June 2005
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA): Elected during the junior academic year - Apr 2004
- American Society for Clinical Pathology Award for Academic Excellence and Achievement - Jun 2003
- New York Medical College 6th Annual Medical Student Research Forum: 2nd prize presentation - Mar 2002
- Magna Cum Laude Graduate: University of California, Los Angeles - June 1999